Saturday, March 07, 2020

Jamaican Slave in Australia - Historical Fiction

How did a Jamaican slave named William Buchanan end up a convict in Australia in the 19th century? I have absolutely no idea but I’d like to find out in this historical fiction titled, Master of My Fate by Jamaican born writer Sienna Brown. Apparently, William Buchanan really existed and he was in fact banished to Australia because of his role in an1831 slave rebellion.

Other slaves like Sam Sharpe were executed because of their role in the 1831 rebellion. I have no idea why some were spared from execution and banished to Australia. You can find a list of Jamaican slaves , on a genealogy site, who ended up in Australia in the 19th century.

This book is on my Must-Read list. Dear Readers, it’s a weekend. Stay healthy and keep reading.

No comments:

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...