Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Finally, Thing 23 of CPD23

This is the end of my online professional development training. I did not get around to exploring Evernote or Pushnote. I found Prezi interesting but challenging. I am more engaged with social media than ever before; I have stopped lurking and have started adding more comments on other people's blogs and tweets. I learned how to make a podcast and for that I am pleased. I enjoyed the section on Advocacy, Mendeley, and screen capturing tools. The periodic reflection was useful. Reading other people's routes and roots was worthwhile and interesting.

How do I feel about CPD23 in six words?  My first response was: Current and more aware than ever. After reading Nobul Librarian's blog, this sentence came to me: Tinkered with Things, learned some Things. Can you tell I am a fan of six word memoirs at Smith Magazine? I look forward to reading how creative everyone will be with this six word challenge.
  
Task 2: Professional Development SWOT Analysis

Strengths:
1. I like to learn new things.
2. I learn quickly. 
Weaknesses:
1. I am slow to get on the tech track. Gosh, I just bought my first Ipod this year.
2. Location. Few libraries and museums in the area where I live; few opportunities to network through volunteering. Chances a library conference will be held in this area is small..
Opportunities:
1. Online Courses. I can look for free professional development courses,similar to CPD23, where I learn at my own pace.
2.  Non-Library Organizations. If I don't use all the CPD23 Things on the job, I belong to/volunteer with non-library organizations where I can practice much of what I have learned.
3. Time. I have a four day work week so there is time to volunteer, learn some new skill, research and write.
 Threats: 
1. The economy is a threat right now as it creates uncertainties in the work place and affects budgeting for F2F conferences.
2. Fear of the unknown.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Janice,
up front and honest on your SWOT -that's hard
do you run an online bookgroup? seems like you'd be great at it. Best wishes for the future!
Lauren

Janice said...

Thanks, Lauren, for your comments.