Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Blue Night

My book The Blue Afternoon by William Boyd took me all night to finish and at the end of it all, I was annoyed. Four people died in the book and I still don't know who 'done' it. I am supposed to guess?

Loved the writing. Loved the history of the Phillipines and the hospital back in the early twentieth century. Loved the drama of the airplane. Loved the dynamics between the major character and her mother, and also, between the major character and her ex-husband. Enjoyed the love obsession/romance angle. Loved the characters; both the major and the minor ones. That's why I stayed up all night reading.

Starts off in 1936 with a quirky female architect who is approached by a man who says he is her Dad. As far as she knew her Dad had died and he had a completely different name. The Dad becomes the narrator as he tells Kay, the daughter, his story on their journey to Europe to track down a woman from his past. I get to the climax of the story. He's found his mystery woman. Then that's it. The story winds down and I get nothing. Who killed whom? Nothing is revealed.

I am not a happy reader. Yet, I am going to try another William Boyd book, Ordinary Thunderstorms. I'll tell you how that works out for me. Hopefully, I won't be duped into reading all night. I am telling you; I read until 3:00 a.m.

No comments:

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...