Moving on to Thing 12. I am to consider the role of social media in building up networks and a sense of community.
- are there any other advantages to social networking in the context of professional development than outlined below?:
- Better communication between individuals who may or may not have the chance to meet otherwise
- Collaborative working space.
- Easy access to other fields of the profession.
- Can I think of any disadvantages to social networking? I would say I spend too much time going from link to link. Social networking is addictive.
- Has CPD23 helped me to make contact with others that I would not have had contact with normally? Definitely. I have made contact with librarians outside of the USA and their experiences have been worth reading. Very interesting reading about other people's journey into this profession.
- Did I already use social media for career development before starting CPD23? Will I keep using it after the program has finished? I made minimal use of Twitter for career development. I never had a personal account until I started the program. I only had an account for my Toastmasters Club. I intend to continue using Twitter after completing the 23 Things.
- Does social networking really help to foster a sense of community? It certainly helps. The need to belong is very strong in us human beings. Social networking of like minded persons facilitates that feeling of belonging.