Monday, April 19, 2010

Small Island by Andrea Levy

So sorry I did not promote this on my blog before Sunday. Small Island Part 1 was on PBS last night from 9:00PM - 10:30PM, Masterpiece Classic. It is based on the Orange Prize and Whitbread winning novel, by the same name, written by British writer Andrea Levy. Setting is Jamaica and London in the 1940s. One theme is interracial love.

I really enjoyed it and I recognised some of the cast members who had minor roles: Dorothy Cunningham, Glen Campbell, and Leonie Forbes. Glen I remember from his days as a Jamaica College schoolboy acting in a play with St. Andrew High School girls. They are all very experienced stage actors in Jamaica. Look out for Part 2 next Sunday. The non Jamaican actors had really good speech coaches. Ashley Walters' Jamaican accent was very convincing.

I have read Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy. It is available at the Waycross College Libary. Andrea's parents are Jamaicans and she seems to like to explore the Jamaican migrant's experience of the "Motherland" in the 40s and 50s. I wrote a review of Fruit of the Lemon here.

No comments:

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...