Saturday, April 10, 2010

Are you reading Dystopian Fiction?

I am reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I could not get into Oryx and Crake by the same writer so I am returning it to the library. Year of the Flood is described as a dystopic masterpiece on amazon.

Yes, I had to look up the meaning of dystopic. It means anti- utopia, a negative vision of future society. So, while utopian fiction is the creation of an ideal world, dystopian fiction is the creation of a nightmare world. This comes under the genre of science fiction and speculative fiction.

I am enjoying Atwood's nightmarish world. Toby starts off as the narrator. She seems to be alone in the world because of a "Waterless Flood". I don't know what that means yet. She is telling the story of her life before the flood; how she had to go undercover in a world where the CorpSeCorps rules, how she ended up working at a place that sells burgers made of questionable meat judging from the cat fur, how she became a sex slave to her boss at Secretburgers, how she was rescued by a vegetarian religious cult called God's Gardeners. I am on page 59. There are two other narrators. Adam one who leads the Gardeners and Ren who seems to be a teenaged girl in the cult.

Wikipedia, of course, has a list of dystopian literature, if you care to know more.

No comments:

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...