Wednesday, November 26, 2008

25 Money Saving Tips

Yikes! It's almost December. Before you can say ohmigosh, it'll be January 2009. So, what are you doing to save money in these hard financial times? I found this very interesing blog about frugal living and it has an entry showing how various persons have found 25 different ways to save money. Ok, it's not a book but I believe the site is worth a visit.

Let's see, this is what I've been doing:

1. I make my own popcorn most times.
2. I save and reuse plastic shopping bags.
3. I turn off lights when I leave a room.
4. I unplug some electrical appliances when not in use - toaster, blender, cell phone charger.
5. I have a few florescent bulbs.
6. I wash clothes in cold water.
7. I use the ac sparingly and turn on the fan instead.
8. I didn't water the lawn this summer; it rained often.
9. I borrow books from the library instead of spending money on books. Also, I read the newspapers and magazines in the library.
10. I prepare most of my meals instead of eating out and I take leftovers for lunch at work.
11. I keep only 2 credit cards and pay them in full most months
12. I have basic cable - no HBO, no Showtime.
13. I have requested free stuff from heyitsfree.net.
14. I buy some things in bulk - toilet paper, toothpaste, soaps, deodorant.
15. In this cold weather I sometimes use safflower oil instead of body lotion.
16. I use white vinegar in my Downy dispenser instead of fabric softener.
17. I bought an expensive water filter but I no longer buy bottled water every week.


Ok. I could not list 25 but I have been making an effort. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

True it isn't a book yet, still trying to gather as much of the last 4 years worth of posts as possible - word to the wise: always back up and if you are in doubt, don't do it!

Janice said...

I've got more:
18. I use the same insurance company for car and house.

19. I increased my deductible on my car insurance to get a lower premium.

19. I use an online FDIC insured bank that pays more interest then my local banks.

Janice said...

Ok. I have redone my list and I have 25!
1. I use the Flexi Spending Account available at my job

2. I save and reuse plastic shopping bags. I don't buy garbage bags.

3. I turn off lights when I leave a room.

4. I unplug some electrical appliances when not in use - lamps, toaster, blender, cell phone charger.

5. I use florescent bulbs in the rooms that are heavily used.

6. I wash clothes in cold water. I line dry some of my clothes.

7. I use the air conditioning unit sparingly and turn on the fan instead.

8. I didn't water the lawn this summer; it rained often.

9. I borrow books from the library instead of spending money on books. Also, I read the newspapers and magazines in the library and online.

10. I prepare most of my meals instead of eating out and I take leftovers for lunch at work.


11. I keep only 2 credit cards and pay them in full most months

12. I have basic cable - no HBO, no Showtime.


13. I have requested free stuff from heyitsfree.net.

14. I buy some things in bulk or when they are on sale- toilet paper, toothpaste, soaps, deodorant.

15. I buy lavender oil, put some on some cotton pads and place it in the bathroom and living room instead of air freshener.

16. In cold weather I use safflower oil instead of body lotion.

17. I use white vinegar in my Downy dispenser instead of fabric softener.

18. I bought an expensive water filter but I no longer buy bottled water every week.

19. I put most of my savings in an online FDIC insured bank.

20. I arrange for all of my salary to be deposited in my savings account, which earns more interest, then I transfer money to checking account to pay bills.

21. I pay bills ontime to avoid late fees.

22. I increased the deductible on my car insurance.

23. I placed my car and home with the same insurance company.

24. I am not loyal to any brand, I buy the cheapest brand.

25. I consult bankrate.com frequently.

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...