Monday, August 07, 2006

Books and Mongooses




More vacation pics from the Hope Zoo taken by my cousin M.J. Here is a critter you may not see in a North American zoo. This is a baby mongoose, a weasel looking creature, imported into the Caribbean from India to kill rats way back in the day. (If you click on the second photo you may be able to make out one of the cats sheltering from the sun with the mongoose family). The mongoose turned out to be an annoying pest to farmers, destroying eggs and baby chicks. Here is what I'd like to know, how comes the plural is mongooses and not mongeese?

And now back to books. I just finished reading The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. I'd give it three stars out of five. There are anagrams and cryptograms to solve. Ancient documents and legends to interpret. There is intrigue in a religious order: greed, deception and a fight for leadership as in The Third Secret. Berry makes the following controversial points: The gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are inconsistent in details; the New Testament is illogical;and the story of the resurrection has contradictions.

If you are a fan of religious thrillers here is another one to add to your reading list The Last Cato by Matilde Asensi, written long before Davinci I understand. I have not read it yet.

No comments:

COVID Crochet Creativity 2020

I will remember 2020 not just as the pandemic year but also the year I searched the internet for free and easy crochet patterns, picked up m...